Watermelon – the official fruit of summer, that will cheer you up
Elusive and light, watermelon is the official fruit of summer. Or at least we want it to be! Is there a more appropriate fruity symbol of the carefree summertime than the mouthwatering watermelon that equally well satisfies both hunger and thirst? A slice of freshly cut freezing cold watermelon taken directly from the fridge will inevitably make you want to devour it before the little drops of water form on its rind due to the high temperatures outside.
In perfumery, the note watermelon is very often used as a top note both for men’s and for women’s fragrances mainly because of its aquatic, fruity, and green fresh smell. The main purpose of the watermelon note in a perfume composition is to cheer you up, making you feel lighthearted and ready to party! Just look at some of the words and phrases used in the names of perfumes featuring watermelon perfume notes:
- Let’s fly
- Time to play
- Wild pearl
- Born in Paradise
- City Blossom
- Pure Ice
- Too feminine
- Eternity summer
What more could we possibly add?
Some interesting facts about watermelons
- Watermelons come from the same family like cucumber, zucchini, and squash.
- Even though many people have only seen watermelons with red flesh, there are yellow, orange, pink, and even white watermelons – and they are just as sweet as the red ones!
- Nowadays grown in many warm regions around the world, this huge fruit originates from southern Africa.
- Watermelon seeds were found in the tomb of Pharaoh Tutankhamun.
- China is the world’s largest watermelon producer today.
- Watermelon flowers are unisexual, which means that male and female flowers occur on the same plant.
- Cultivated watermelons may reach (and even exceed) 60 cm in diameter while wild ones rarely reach more than 20 cm in diameter.
- The largest recorded watermelon was grown in Tennessee in 2013. It weighed the impressive 159 kilograms!
- Did you know that watermelons are both a fruit and a vegetable? That’s because they have a sweet taste and produce seeds (just like most fruits) but they also have a 100%-edible rind (just like most vegetables)!
Do you know?
Growing square watermelons is a very popular practice in Japan where watermelons are grown in special containers, assuming their shape as they grow. Square watermelons are very easy to cut and save precious space in your fridge. As you can imagine, they are more expensive than regular (round) watermelons and, as such, are a frequent choice of wealthy Japanese people.
Watermelon health benefits
- A rich source of vitamin C, watermelons fight with free radicals (that are known to cause cancer). Besides, their consumption lowers the risk of developing asthma (thanks, again, to vitamin C);
- If you want to easily prevent constipation, eat watermelons regularly. Their rich water and fiber content will help you get a healthy digestive tract;
- Eating watermelons in the hot summer days will not only help you combat the heat, but it will also keep you hydrated and refreshed throughout the day;
- For people who work out, a slice of watermelon or a glass of fresh watermelon juice will help relieve muscle soreness and shorten the recovery period;
- For an extra dose of iron, zinc, protein, and fiber, treat yourself with some roasted watermelon seeds! You can have them sweet (seasoned with cinnamon and a sugar dusting) or salty (seasoned with olive oil and salt);
- Attention, men: watermelons are often referred to as… nature’s Viagra! The L-arginine in them helps with erectile dysfunction, relaxing the blood vessels.
Watermelon beauty benefits
- Anti-aging properties – watermelons can do real wonders on your skin. They are rich in antioxidants and help prevent skin aging;
- Watermelons are great natural skin toners. You can rub a slice of watermelon directly on your skin or blend it and use it as a mask. To achieve even better results, you can blend it with honey;
- They keep the skin’s natural moisture and protect it from sun damage;
- Rich in vitamin A, watermelons are a great remedy for excessive oil secretion and help reduce the size of visible pores.
The watermelon note in perfumery
In perfumery, there is no such thing as watermelon essential oil. With over 90% water content, it would be impossible to extract watermelon essential oil from this fruit regardless of the extraction method. That’s why the watermelon perfume note is recreated in laboratories where perfumers and scientists make artificial watermelon notes reminding us of the sweet watery scent of the original.
Primarily used as a top note, the perfume note watermelon goes very well with citrus notes (bergamot, clementine, lemon, mandarin, and grapefruit), fruity notes (green apple, peach, pineapple, red berries, red currant, coconut, pomegranate, kiwi, raspberry, passiflora, and pear), herbs and spices (coriander, basil, bamboo, tea leaves, cardamom, pink pepper, rhubarb, cinnamon, and mint).
In our online shop https://fragrances.bg you’ll find plenty of men’s and women’s perfumes with the note watermelon in them. Here are some of them:
- Aigner Too Feminine EDP for women
- Benetton Let’s Fly EDT for men
- Calvin Klein CK One Red Edition EDT for women
- Calvin Klein Eternity Summer 2014 EDP for women
- Calvin Klein Eternity Summer 2015 EDT for women
- Calvin Klein CK One Summer 2013 EDT for men and women
- Carolina Herrera Chic EDT for men
- Chloe EDT for women
- DKNY Be Delicious Sparkling Apple EDP for women
- Dior Addict 2 EDT for women
- Dolce&Gabbana Anthology L’Imperatrice 3 EDT for women
- Escada Born In Paradise EDT for women
- Ferre Rose EDT for women
- Issey Miyake L’Eau D’Issey City Blossom EDT for women
- Iceberg Eau de Iceberg Cedar EDT for men
- Jaguar Vision II EDT for men
- Lacoste L 12.12 Noir EDT for men
- Masaki Matsushima Mat EDP for women
- Naomi Campbell Wild Pearl EDT for women
- Puma Time to Play Man EDT for men
- Ralph Lauren Ralph Fresh EDT for women
- S.T. Dupont Essence Pure Ice EDT for women
- Ungaro Party EDT for women
Do you have a favorite perfume with the note watermelon in it? Share it with us in the comments below!